5/05/2006

Caspar David Friedrich

The Caspar David Friedrich Exhibition "The Invention of Romanticism" opened today in Essen, Germany.
I love the picture Kreidefelsen auf Ruegen, especially because we enjoyed the same view almost two years ago when going there for our holidays. Sadly enough, the chalk cliffs as seen in the picture fell down last year. Fortunately, this painting exists.

Ah, and the Sea of Ice!


Quote by CDF:
"The painter should paint not only what he has in front of him, but also what he sees inside himself. If he sees nothing within, then he should stop painting what is in front of him."
More on C.D.Friedrich

So much desolation and isolation, and so much beauty.

2 comments:

Rob said...

Great stuff - I want to go! I have a print of The Wanderer above the sea of fog in my office - seems appropriate somehow...

francessa said...

As long as you are *above* the fog ..! There's time to go until 20 August! What would be appropriate for my workingplace? Hmmm ... Wreck in the moonlight perhaps? With me being the wreck.. ;-)
Found another link to more of CDF.

Related Posts with Thumbnails