6/30/2008

Democracy Now!

Holidays!

As it happens, I'm sitting in the public library of Muenster, Germany. As always, when I've been away for several weeks, all the copies of my favourite German newspaper, The Sueddeutsche, were waiting for me, carefully collected.

So, for the last two days I've been reading a lot of old newspapers. One article caught my interest. It was about Amy Goodman, the host of Democracy Now.

Maybe I'm one of the last persons who hadn't heard of Amy Goodman, but from what I've read so far, it seems: better late than never.

The daily TV and radio program focuses on issues its producers consider underreported or ignored by mainstream news coverage, including global news and reporting on antiwar activism. It's all about opinions of people and perspective rareley heard in conventional media, from ordinary people around the world. It's "pioneering the largest community media collaboration in the world".

Goodman's tagline for the program is, "The Exception to the Rulers".


I intend to read the articles, comments and blogs on the website, as I cannot receive the tv and radio program.

Certainly, connections are made here, e.g. Weather reports are missing the story", where they point out, that "the people who write about global warming for most newspapers and TV are not the same people as those who tend to cover weather. In general, the media is covering this as all sort of unconnected events, just regular weather maybe gone a little wacky. But, in fact, the scientific community has predicted for more than two decades now that as we pour more heat-trapping greenhouse gases into the atmosphere, the planet will heat up..."

There's more about Democracy Now!"..

4 comments:

Lydia said...

I never heard of her either, so thank you for all this information. I'll pay more attention and see if I get the program. I'm also going to try to find the film she narrated: "One Bright Shining Moment — The Forgotten Summer of George McGovern. Directed by Stephen Vittoria, the documentary chronicles the life and times of George McGovern, focusing on his 1972 bid for the presidency."

Glad you are back blogging! I'll email soon.

francessa said...

Oh, thanks for the info, Lydia!
Looking forward to your e-mail :-)

Natasha said...

I shall look out for her too, i have never heard of her before either.
You live in Germany & Vienna? Wow, that just seems so much funner than New Jersey!

francessa said...

Ah, New Jersey seems like a lot of fun to me, natasha! Gonna visit your blog :-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails