4/01/2010

April



April is the cruelest month, breeding 
Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing 
Memory and desire, stirring 
Dull roots with spring rain.


These are the first lines of T.S. Eliot's famous poem The Waste Land.

The weather IS cruel at the moment, rainstorms blow over Germany. When I returned from shopping by bike my hands were almost frozen.

I wonder if the April Fools' jokes are some antidote for the cruelty (weather-wise) of this month.

I think, I've detected one.

Ah, and here's a site where you can find all those jokes planted on the web.

5 comments:

YogaforCynics said...

I've always loved the "Burial of the Dead," the first section of the Wasteland, particularly those opening lines...which, alas, often seem all too true, as the new birth of life reminds me of old hopes and disappointments...and, yes, I've always found jokes a good antidote for whatever ails me...

francessa said...

Yes, especially the first part is beautiful!

Wasn't it Mahatma Gandhi who said if he hadn't got some sense of humor he would have committed suicide long ago?

Lydia said...

Beautiful photo...is it yours?

I haven't read that poem for ages; thanks for posting the link. It's true right now, this is so far a cruel month. We saw some sun today and it is supposed to suffice for maybe a week.

Translate for animals - hah! I wish it were true so Willow could tell me why she is in such a funk today. Actually, it might simply be caused by cruel April.

naomi dagen bloom said...

"...the higher up in the food chain an animal is, the better a communicator it will be..." from the Translate for animals. Guessing that humans are not part of that food chain, particularly those who are members of US Congress. Now, chickens..

Thanks for entertainment. Hattie's Web blogroll led this mid-level communicator here.

francessa said...

Lydia, I took that photo a few days ago in Muenster. I tried to imagine a discussion with you and all your animals and had to laugh!

Hi Naomi, nice to see you here! I wonder if somebody out there is working on a translator for, say, Members of Congress, Members of Parliaments, or politicians in general. Very often I cannot believe my ears when I listen to some of them ..

Related Posts with Thumbnails